Schiff, Steven J.
Brush Chair Professor of Engineering in the departments of Neurosurgery, Engineering Science & Mechanics, Physics, and BioE
- Ph.D., Physiology, Duke University School of Medicine, 1985
- M.D., Medicine, Duke university School of Medicine, 1980
- S.B., Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1977
Years of Service with Penn State (9 years)
- 2007 – Present Director, Penn State Center for Neural Engineering
- 2006 – Present Professor of Neurosurgery, Engineering Sciences and Mechanics, and Physcis (Courtesy)
- 2006 – Present Brush Chair Professor of Engineering, Penn State University
Other Related Experience — Teaching, Industrial, Etc.
- 1998 – Present Adjunct Professor, Pharmacology, George Washington University Schoof of Medicine, Washington, DC
- 1998 – 2006 Krasnow Professor Neurobiology, and Director, Center for Neural Dynamics, Krasnow Institute, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
- 1996 – 1998 Associate Director, Center for Neuroscience and Behavioral Medicine, Children's Research Institite, Children's National Medical Center, Washington, DC
- 1994 – 1998 Professor, Neurosurgery, Pediatrics and Physiology, George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington, DC
- 1993 – 1997 Co-Director, Epilepsy Surgery Program, Children's National Medical Center, Washington, DC
Recent Principal Publications
- S. Y. Kruglikov, S. Chari, P. E. Rapp, S. L. Weinstein, B. K. Given, and Steven J. Schiff (2008) “Fully Optimized Discrimination of Physiological Responses to Auditory Stimuli,” Journal of Neural Engineering, 5, pp. 133–143.
- Steven J. Schiff and T. Sauer (2008) “Kaman Filter Control of a Model of Spatiotemporal Cortical Dynamics,” Journal of Neural Engineering, 5, pp. 1–8.
- Steven J. Schiff, X. Huang, and J- J Wu (2007) “Dynamical Evolution of Spatiotemporal Patterns in Mammalian Middle Cortex,” Physical Review Letters (Paper also selected for 5/1/2007 issue of Virtual J of Biol Physics Research (APS), 98, pp. 178102.
- S. Sunderam, N. Chernyy, N. Peixoto, J. Mason, S. L. Weinstein, Steven J. Schiff, and B. J. Gluckman (2007) “Improved Sleep-Wake and Behavior Discrimination Using MEMS Accelerometers,” J. Neuroscience Methods, 163, pp. 373–383.
- J. Berzhanskaya, A. Gorchetchnikov, and Steven J. Schiff (2007) “Switching between gamma and theta: dynamic network control using subthreshold electric fields,” Neurocomputing, 70, pp. 2091–2095.
- J. Ziburkus, J. R. Cressman, E. Barreto, and Steven J. Schiff (2006) “Interneuron and Pyramidal Cell Interplay During in vitro Seizure-Like Events,” Journal of Neurophysiology, 95, pp. 3948–3954.
- E- Y. Park, E. Barreto, B. J. Gluckman, Steven J. Schiff, and P. So (2005) “A Model of the Effects of Applied Electric Fields on Neuronal Synchronization,” Journal of Computational Neuroscience, 19, pp. 53–70.
- K. A. Richardson, Steven J. Schiff, and B. J. Gluckman (2005) “Control of Traveling Waves in Mammalian Cortex,” Physical Review Letters, 94, pp. 028103.
- K. K. Jerger, S. L. Weinstein, T. Sauer, and Steven J. Schiff (2005) “Multivariate Linear Discrimination of Seizures,” Clinical Neurophysiology, 116, pp. 545–551.
- E. Sander, E. Barreto, Steven J. Schiff, and P. So (2005) “Neuronal Spatiotemporal Patatern Discrimination: The Dynamical Evolution of Seizures,” NeuroImage, 28, pp. 1043–1055.
- X. Huang, W. C. Troy, Q. Yang, H. Ma, C. R. Laing, Steven J. Schiff, and J- J Wu (Nov 2004) “Spiral Waves in Disinhibited Mammalian Neocortex,” Journal of Neuroscience, 24, pp. 9897–9902.
- T. L. Netoff, L. M. Pecora, and Steven J. Schiff (2004) “Analytical coupling detection in the presence of noise and nonlinearity,” Physical Review E. also selected for 2/1/2004 issue of Virtual J. Biolog Physics Res, APS, 69(017201).
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- U.S. Patent 6,665,562, BJ Gluckman, SJ Schiff, Issued. Adaptive Electric Field Modulation Of Neural Systems (Methods) (16 Dec 2003)
- U.S. Patent 5,800,459, ML Spano, BJ Gluckman, WL Ditto, SJ Schiff,. Electric Field Control of Epileptiform Activity, (1 Sept 1998)
- U.S. Patent 5,797,965, ML Spano, BJ Gluckman, WL Ditto, SJ Schiff,. Suppression of Epileptiform Activity (25 Aug 1998)
- U.S. Patent 5,522,863, ML Spano, WL Ditto, SJ Schiff. Pulsating Behavior Monitoring and Modification System for Neural Networks (4 June 1996)
- U.S. Patent 6,873,872, BJ Gluckman, SJ Schiff. Adaptive Electric Field Modulation Of Neural Systems (Device) (Present)
Professional Licenses or Certifications
- Medical License, North Carolina, 16 Oct 1998
- Medicine & Surgery License, Virginia, 1 Sept 1994
- Physician and Surgeon License, Maryland, 21 July 1992
- Medicine and Surgery License, District of Columbia, 21 May 1990
- Medical Physician and Surgeon, Pennsylvania, 7 Dec 1988
Honors and Awards
- Listed in 'Guide to Americas' Top Surgeons, 3rd Edition, Consumers' Research Council of America (2006)
- Fellow of the American Physical Society Citation: “For his contributions to the physical and biological understanding and control of the dynamis of neural signals in the brain.”, APS (2005)
- Listed in 'Guide to America's Top Physicans' (2nd Edition), Consumers' Research Council of America (2005)
- Independent Scientist Award, National Institutes of Health (2003)
- Independent Scientist Award, National Institutes of Health (1998)
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- DIvisional Associate Editor, Physical Review Letters, American Physical Society (2006 – Present)
- Action Editor, Journal of Computational Neuroscience (2006 – Present)
Login to Edit