Todd, Judith A.
P. B. Breneman Department Head
Office phone: (814) 863-0771
Office address: 214 Earth and Engineering Sciences Building
- Ph.D., Materials Science, Cambridge University, 1977
- M.A. (Honors), Materials Science, Cambridge University, 1977
- B.A. (Honors), Materials Science, Cambridge University, 1972
Years of Service with Penn State (10 years)
- July 2002 – Present Department Head, P. B. Breneman Chair, Professor of Engineering Science and Mechanics
Other Related Experience — Teaching, Industrial, Etc.
- June 2001 – June 2002 Associate Dean for Research, Armour College of Engineering and Science, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL
- Aug 1996 – June 2002 Iron and Steel Society Professor, Mechanical, Materials and Aerospace Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL
- June 1977 – June 2002 Professor of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, Mechanical, Materials and Aerospace Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL
- Aug 1995 – May 2001 Associate Chair, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Mechanical, Materials and Aerospace Engineering (MMAE), Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL
- Feb 1990 – May 1997 Associate Professor of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, Mechanical, Materials and Aerospace Engineering (1995–1997), and Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, and Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, (1990–1995), Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL
- Jan 1982 – Feb 1990 Assistant Professor, Materials Science and Mechanical Engineering, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
Recent Principal Publications
- Akhlesh Lakhtakia and Judith A Todd (Jan 2013) “Controlled Chaos could be Key to Photonics Innovation,” SPIE Professional, 8(1), pp. 20–21.
- Akhlesh Lakhtakia and Judith A Todd, Eds. (Aug 2012) “Photonic Innovations and Solutions for Complex Environments and Systems (PISCES),” SPIE Proceedings, 8482, pp. 87 pp.
- Abdalla Nassar, Ravindra Akarapu, Stephen M Copley, and Judith A Todd (2012) “Investigations of Laser-Sustained Plasma and its Role in Laser Nitriding of Titanium,” Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 45, pp. 10 pp.
- Ravindra Akarapu, Puneit Dua, Alexander Campbell, Dana Scott, Abdalla Nassar, Judith A Todd, and Stephen M Copley (2007) “Characterization of Spectral Emissions from Laser Irradiated Titanium,” in proceedings Proc. Mater. Res. Soc. Symp., 1040, pp. Q08–02, Materials Research Society, Boston, Dec. 2007.
- Matthew Kelly, Jogender Singh, Stephen M Copley, Douglas Wolfe, and Judith A Todd (2007) “Paper # ICACC-0119–2007: Quantitative Microstructural Analysis of Thermal Barrier Coatings Produced by Electron Beam Physical Vapor Deposition,” in proceedings Proceedings 31st International Cocoa Beach Conference and Exposition, American Ceramics Society, Jan 21–26, 2007, Daytona Beach, FL.
- Samerjit Homrossukon, Sheldon Mostovoy, and Judith A Todd (2006) “Paper PVP06-ICPVT11–93923: Investigation of Hydrogen Assisted Cracking in Pressure Vessel Steels,” in proceedings Proceedings of the ASME PVP06-ICPVT11 Conference, ASME, July 23–27, 2006, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada..
- Judith A Todd, Akhlesh Lakhtakia, and Christine Masters (2005) “Paper 2005–1921: Innovations in Multidisciplinary Engineering Programs: Focus on Multilevel Communications Skills Portland, June 12–15, 2005.,” in proceedings Proc. ASEE Annual conference, pp. 12, ASEE, Portland, Oregon, June 12–15, 2005..
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- Association for Women in Science, Fellow (1990 – Present)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Fellow (1984 – Present)
- ASM International, Fellow (1978 – Present)
- U.S. Patent 6,285,449, W. A. Ellingson, J. A. Todd and J. Sun. Optical Method and Apparatus for Detection of Defects and Microstructural Changes in Ceramics and Ceramic Coatings (4 Sept 2001)
- U.S. Patent 5,022,957, S. M. Copley, Hongyi Tao and J. A. Todd. Post Treatment to Improve the Strength of Laser Shaped Silicon Compound Ceramics (11 June 1991)
Honors and Awards
- 2006 Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring, National Science Foundation (17 Nov 2007)
- ASME Board of Governors Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (25 July 2007)
- ASME Distinguished Service Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (25 July 2007)
- Achieving Woman Award, Commission for Women, Penn State University (8 Apr 2007)
- Materials Research Institute Inspiration Award, Penn State University (15 Dec 2006)
- Certificate of Appreciation for service as the Conference Chair for the 2006 ASME Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference, ASME (24 July 2006)
- Certificate of Appreciation for service as the Technical Program Chair for the 2005 ASME Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference, ASME (24 July 2005)
- Board of Governors certificate for service as Vice President of the Manufacturing Technology Group, ASME International, 2002–2005, ASME (8 June 2005)
- Certificate of Appreciation for service as the Session Organizer of the “Manufacturing Industry Track” at the 2004 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, ASME International, ASME (25 Nov 2004)
- Council for Institutional Cooperation (CIC) Academic Leadership Program Fellow, Penn State University (Aug 2003)
- Elected to the Committee for the Sciences and the Arts, Franklin Institute, Philadelphia (Oct 2002)
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- President (2009), (Board Member 2005–2010), Society of Engineering Science (Jan 2005 – Dec 2010)
- ASME Fellow Selection Committee, ASME (June 2006 – May 2009)
- Division Chair, Pressure Vessels and Piping Division, (Executive Committee 2001–2007), ASME (July 2006 – July 2007)
- Vice President, Manufacturing Technology Group, ASME (June 2002 – June 2005)
Login to Edit