Todd, Judith A.
P. B. Breneman Department Head
Office phone: (814) 863-0771
Office address: 214 Earth and Engineering Sciences Building
- Ph.D., Materials Science, Cambridge University, 1977
- M.A. (Honors), Materials Science, Cambridge University, 1977
- B.A. (Honors), Materials Science, Cambridge University, 1972
Years of Service with Penn State (12 years)
- July 2002 – Present Department Head, P. B. Breneman Chair, Professor of Engineering Science and Mechanics
Other Related Experience — Teaching, Industrial, Etc.
- June 2001 – June 2002 Associate Dean for Research, Armour College of Engineering and Science, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL
- Aug 1996 – June 2002 Iron and Steel Society Professor, Mechanical, Materials and Aerospace Engineering (MMAE), Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL
- Feb 1990 – June 2002 Associate Professor, Associate Chair, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering (1995–2001), Professor (1997) of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, MMAE, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL
- Jan 1982 – Feb 1990 Assistant Professor, Materials Science and Mechanical Engineering, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
Recent Principal Publications
- Akhlesh Lakhtakia and Judith A Todd (Jan 2013) “Controlled Chaos could be Key to Photonics Innovation,” SPIE Professional, 8(1), pp. 20–21.
- Akhlesh Lakhtakia and Judith A Todd, Eds. (Aug 2012) “Photonic Innovations and Solutions for Complex Environments and Systems (PISCES),” SPIE Proceedings, 8482, pp. 87 pp.
- Abdalla Nassar, Ravindra Akarapu, Stephen M Copley, and Judith A Todd (Apr 2012) “Investigations of Laser-Sustained Plasma and its Role in Laser Nitriding of Titanium,” Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 45(18), pp. 10 pp.
- Brian Borawski, Jogender Singh, Judith A Todd, and Douglas Wolfe (2011) “Multi-layer coating design architecture for optimum particulate erosion resistance,” Wear, 271, pp. 2782–2792.
- Brian Borawski, Judith A Todd, Jogender Singh, and Douglas Wolfe (2011) “The influence of ductile interlayer material on the particle erosion resistance of multilayered TiN based coatings,” Wear, 271, pp. 2890–2898.
- Ravindra Akarapu, Abdalla Nassar, Stephen M Copley, and Judith A Todd (2010) “Numerical Model of a Laser-Sustained Argon Plasma,” Journal of Laser Applications, 21(4), pp. 163–168.
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- Association for Women in Science, Fellow, 1996 (1990 – Present)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Fellow, 2001 (1984 – Present)
- ASM International, Fellow, 1997 (1978 – Present)
- U.S. Patent 6,285,449, W. A. Ellingson, J. A. Todd and J. Sun. Optical Method and Apparatus for Detection of Defects and Microstructural Changes in Ceramics and Ceramic Coatings (4 Sept 2001)
- U.S. Patent 5,022,957, S. M. Copley, Hongyi Tao and J. A. Todd. Post Treatment to Improve the Strength of Laser Shaped Silicon Compound Ceramics (11 June 1991)
Professional Licenses or Certifications
- Chartered Engineer, (C. Eng. – professional engineer) Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, United Kingdom, 1978
Honors and Awards
- 2006 Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring, National Science Foundation (17 Nov 2007)
- ASME Distinguished Service Award and ASME Board of Governors Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (25 July 2007)
- Vanadium Award, Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, United Kingdom. (1990)
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- President (2009), (Board Member 2005–2010), Society of Engineering Science (Jan 2005 – Dec 2010)
- Congress Chair for the 2010 U. S. National Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Penn State, June 27 – July 2, 2010, U. S. National Committee on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (2006 – 2010)
Login to Edit