Office phone: (814) 863-2030
Office address: W-315 Millennium Science Complex
Office hours: M, W - 3:30pm - 5:00pm or by appt
Office hours Location: 315W Millennium Science Bldg
Office hours Phone: (814) 863-2030
- Ph.D., Aerospace Engineering, Texas A&M University, 1993
- Laurea (with Honors) (5 year program with a thesis requirement), Aeronautical Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, 1989
Years of Service with Penn State (17 years)
- July 2009 – Present Professor
- July 2001 – June 2009 Associate Professor
- Aug 1995 – June 2001 Assistant Professor
Other Related Experience — Teaching, Industrial, Etc.
- June 1994 – July 1995 Lecturer and Senior Research Associate, Department of Mathematics, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA
- Feb 1994 – June 1994 Senior Research Associate, Aerospace Engineering Department, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA
Recent Principal Publications
- D. K. Khalmanova and F. Costanzo (2008) “A Space-Time Discontinuous Galerkin Finite Element Method for Fully Coupled Linear Thermo-Elasto-Dynamic Problems with Strain and Heat Flux Discontinuities,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 197(13–16), pp. 1323–1342.
- F. Costanzo and G. L. Gray (2007) “A Micro-Mechanics-Based Notion of Stress for use in the Determination of Continuum-Level Mechanical Properties via Molecular Dynamics,” Chapter 5, in book entitled Multiscale Modeling and Simulation of Composite Materials and Structures, pp. 203–234, Springer-Verlag, New York.
- G. L. Gray and F. Costanzo (2007) “Toward a New Approach to Teaching Problem Solving in Dynamics,” Chapter 9, in book entitled Learning to Solve Complex, Scientific Problems, pp. 205–222, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- P. C. Andia, F. Costanzo, and G. L. Gray (2006) “A Classical Mechanics Approach to the Determination of the Stress-Strain Response of Particle Systems,” Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 14, pp. 741–757.
- C. L. Randow, G. L. Gray, and F. Costanzo (2006) “A Directed Continuum Model of Micro- and Nano-scale Thin Films,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, 43(5), pp. 1253–1275.
- P. C. Andia, F. Costanzo, and G. L. Gray (2005) “A Lagrangian-Based Continuum Homogenization Approach Applicable to Molecular Dynamics Simulations,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, 42(24–25), pp. 6409–6432.
- F. Costanzo, G. L. Gray, and P. C. Andia (2005) “On the Definitions of Effective Stress and Deformation Gradient for Use in MD: Hill's Macro-homogeneity and the Virial Theorem,” International Journal of Engineering Science, 43(7), pp. 533–555.
- F. Costanzo and H. Huang (2005) “Proof of Unconditional Stability for a Single-field Discontinuous Galerkin Finite Element Formulation for Linear Elasto-Dynamics,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 194(18–20), pp. 2059–2076.
- J. H. Song and F. Costanzo (2004) “Fatigue of Cord-Rubber Composites: Cord Reinforcement Effect,” Rubber Chemistry and Technology, 77(4), pp. 593–610.
- F. Costanzo, G. L. Gray, and P. C. Andia (2004) “On the Notion of Average Mechanical Properties in MD Simulation via Homogenization,” Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 12, pp. S333-S345.
- H. Huang and F. Costanzo (2004) “On the Use of Space-time Finite Elements in the Solution of Elasto-dynamic Fracture Problems,” International Journal of Fracture, 127(2), pp. 119–146.
- H. Huang and F. Costanzo (2002) “On the Use of Space-Time Finite Elements in the Solution of Elasto-Dynamic Problems with Strain Discontinuities,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 191(46), pp. 5315–5343.
- F. Costanzo and J. R. Walton (2002) “Steady Growth of a Crack with a Temperature Sensitive Cohesive Zone,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 50, pp. 1649–1679.
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- American Society of Engineering Education (1999 – Present)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) (1995 – Present)
- Society of Engineering Science (SES) (1994 – Present)
Honors and Awards
- Penn State Engineering Society Premier Teaching Award, Penn State Engineering Society (2007)
- Overall Best Paper Presentation, Mechanics Division of ASEE (2005)
- Best Paper Award (shared with co-authors), Mechanics Division of ASEE (2005)
- Second prize winner (along with Dr. Gary L. Gray) of the General Electric Learning Excellence Award, General Electric (2003)
- Penn State Engineering Society Outstanding Teaching Award, Penn State Engineering Society (2000)
- American Society of Engineering Education Outstanding New Mechanics Educator Award, ASEE (1999)
- First prize winner (along with Dr. Gary L. Gray) of the General Electric Learning Excellence Award, General Electric (1998)
- Awarded a one percent salary increase for the 1998 Collaborative and Curricular Innovations Special, The Pennsylvania State University (1998)
- NSF CAREER Award, National Science Foundation (1998)
- Fulbright Scholarship, Fulbright Scholar Program (1989)
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- Member, Penn State University Faculty Senate (Aug 2005 – Present)
- Chair, Math Fundamentals Exam Committee, Engineering Science and Mechanics Department (Aug 2007 – Dec 2007)
- Chair and Member, University Hearing Board, Penn State Office of Judicial Affairs (Aug 1997 – Dec 2006)
- Co-chair and co-technical chair, 3rd Annual Technical Meeting Society of Engineering Science (Aug 2006 – Aug 2006)
- Co-Organizer of the Symposium entitled: “Discrete to Continuum: Mechanical Modeling Across Scales”, 39th Annual Technical Meeting of the Society of Engineering Science (Oct 2002 – Oct 2002)
- Co-Organizer of the Symposium entitled: “Dynamics Fracture”, 39th Annual Technical Meeting of the Society of Engineering Science (Oct 2002 – Oct 2002)
Login to Edit