Office phone: (814) 863-2030
Office address: W-315 Millennium Science Complex
Office hours: M, W: 1:30 - 3:00 p.m.
Office hours Location: 315W Millennium Science Bldg
Office hours Phone: (814) 863-2030
- Ph.D., Aerospace Engineering, Texas A&M University, 1993
- Laurea (with Honors) (5 year program with a thesis requirement), Aeronautical Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, 1989
Years of Service with Penn State (18 years)
- July 2009 – Present Professor
- July 2001 – June 2009 Associate Professor
- Aug 1995 – June 2001 Assistant Professor
Recent Principal Publications
- N. Nama, P.-H. Huang, T. J. Huang, and F. Costanzo (2014) “Investigation of Acoustic Streaming Patterns around Oscillating Sharp Edges,” Lab on a Chip (under review, currently available through arXiv.org: arXiv:1402.4152).
- S. Roy, L. Heltai, C. S. Drapaca, and F. Costanzo (2013) “An Immersed Finite Element Method Approach for Brain Biomechanics,” in proceedings Mechanics of Biological Systems and Materials, 5, pp. 79–86, edited by B. C. Prorok, F. Barthelat, C. S. Korach, K. J. Grande-Allen, E. Lipke, G. Lykofatitits, and P. Zavattieri, Springer, Conference Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Mechanics Series.
- S. Roy, L. Heltai, and F. Costanzo (2013) “Benchmarking the Immersed Finite Element Method for Fluid-Structure Interaction Problems,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering (under review,currently available through arXiv.org: arXiv:1306.0936).
- G. L. Gray, F. Costanzo, and M. E. Plesha (2013) Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics, 2nd Edition, McGraw-Hill Higher Education.
- F. Costanzo, M. E. Plesha, and G. L. Gray (2013) Engineering Mechanics: Statics & Dynamics, 2nd Edition, McGraw-Hill Higher Education.
- M. E. Plesha, G. L. Gray, and F. Costanzo (2013) Engineering Mechanics: Statics, 2nd Edition, McGraw-Hill Higher Education.
- X. Ding, P. Li, S.-C. S. Lin, Z. S. Stratton, N. Nama, F. Guo, D. Slotcavage, X. Mao, J. Shi, F. Costanzo, and T. J. Huang (2013) “Surface Acoustic Wave Microfluidics,” Lab on a Chip, 13(18), pp. 3626–3649.
- C. Chindam, N. Nama, M. I. Lapsley, F. Costanzo, and T. J. Huang (2013) “Theory and Experiment on Resonant Frequencies of Liquid-Air Interfaces Trapped in Microfluidic Devices,” Journal of Applied Physics, 114(19), pp. 194503–1–194503–7.
- L. Heltai, S. Roy, and F. Costanzo (2012) “A Fully Coupled Immersed Finite Element Method for Fluid Structure Interaction via the Deal.II Library,” Archive of Numerical Software (accepted pending revisions, currently available through arXiv.org: arXiv:1209.2811.).
- Luca Heltai and Francesco Costanzo (2012) “Variational Implementation of Immersed Finite Element Methods,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 220–232, pp. 110–127.
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), Member (2008 – Present)
- American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE) (1999 – Present)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) (1994 – Present)
- Society of Engineering Science (SES) (1994 – Present)
Honors and Awards
- Penn State Engineering Society Premier Teaching Award, Penn State Engineering Society (2007)
- American Society of Engineering Education Outstanding New Mechanics Educator Award, ASEE (1999)
- NSF CAREER Award, National Science Foundation (1998)
- Fulbright Scholarship, Fulbright Scholar Program (1989)
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- Member and Chair, Promotion and Tenure Committee (ESM) (Aug 2013 – Present)
- Chair and Member, University Conduct Board, Penn State Office of Student Conduct (Aug 2013 – Present)
- Member, Promotion and Tenure Committee (ESM) (Aug 2009 – July 2013)
- Member, Penn State University Faculty Senate (Aug 2005 – May 2013)
- Co-chair and co-technical chair, 43rd Annual Technical Meeting Society of Engineering Science (Aug 2006 – Aug 2006)
Login to Edit