Lissenden, Clifford J.
Office phone: (814) 863-5754
Office address: 411D Earth and Engineering Sciences Building
Office hours: M - R, 2:30 - 3:30pm
Office hours Location: 411D EES Bldg
Office hours Phone: (814) 863-5754
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering/Applied Mechanics, University of Virginia, 1993
- M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Virginia, 1988
- B.S. (Magna Cum Laude), Civil Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1985
Years of Service with Penn State (17 years)
- Jan 2007 – Dec 2012 Director, Ben Franklin Center of Excellence in Structural Health Monitoring
- July 2004 – June 2009 Undergraduate Officer
- Aug 2001 – June 2009 Associate Professor
- Aug 1995 – June 2001 Assistant Professor
Other Related Experience — Teaching, Industrial, Etc.
- Sept 2007 – Dec 2007 Visiting Scientist, Nondestructive Evaluation Branch, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
- June 1994 – Aug 1995 Summer Faculty Fellow, Life Prediction Branch, NASA Lewis Research Center, Cleveland, Ohio
- Aug 1993 – Aug 1995 Visiting Assistant Professor, Engineering Mechanics, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky
- Sept 1988 – Aug 1990 Structural Engineer/Associate, Structural Engineering, Gee & Jenson, West Palm Beach, Florida
- Apr 1985 – Aug 1987 Structural Engineer, Structures, Kimley-Horn and Associates, West Palm Beach, Florida
Recent Principal Publications
- Cliff J. Lissenden, D. Doraiswamy, and S. M. Arnold (2007) “Experimental investigation of cyclic and time-dependent deformation of titanium alloy at elevated temperature,” Int. J. Plasticity, 23, pp. 1–24.
- Cliff J. Lissenden, F. Yan, E. T. Hauck, D. M. Noga, and J. L. Rose (2007) “Internal damage detection in a laminated composite plate using ultrasonic guided waves,” in proceedings Review in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, pp. 1029–1035, edited by D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti, America Institute of Physics.
- B. M. Ross, A. Lakhtakia, and Cliff J. Lissenden (2007) “Maxwell stress distributions in chiral sculptured thin films due to obliquely incident plane waves,” Optics Communications, 275, pp. 1–9.
- X. Lei and Cliff J. Lissenden (2007) “Pressure sensitive nonassociative plasticity model for DRA composites,” J. Engng. Mater. Tech., 129, pp. 255–264.
- Cliff J. Lissenden, S. P. Tissot, M. W. Trethewey, and K. P. Maynard (2007) “Torsion response of a cracked stainless steel shaft,” Fat. Fract. Engng. Mat., 30, pp. 734–747.
- H. Gao, J. L. Rose, and Cliff J. Lissenden (2007) “Ultrasonic guided wave mode selection and tuning in composites using a piezoelectric phased array,” in proceedings Structural Health Monitoring 2007, pp. 1668–1675, edited by F. K. Chang, DEStech Publications.
- J. L. Rose, J. Mu, L. Zhang, and Cliff J. Lissenden (2006) “Long range focused ultrasonic guided waves for corrosion detection in tubular structures,” in proceedings Corrosion 2006, pp. 13, NACE International.
- Cliff J. Lissenden, D. Doraiswamy, P. A. Solimine, and S. M. Arnold (2005) “Experimental investigation of cyclic and time-dependent deformation of titanium alloy at elevated temperature,” in proceedings Dislocations, Plasticity, Damage and Metal Forming: Material Response and Multiscale Modeling, pp. 217–219, edited by A. S. Khan and A. R. Khoei, Neat Press.
- S. M. Arnold, A. F. Saleeb, L. Powers, and Cliff J. Lissenden (2005) “High temperature characterization and prediction of Timetal 21S cyclic and cyclic-relaxation deformation behavior using a multimechanism viscoelastoplastic model,” in proceedings Dislocations, Plasticity, Damage and Metal Forming: Material Response and Multiscale Modeling, pp. 175–177, edited by A. S. Khan and A. R. Khoei, Neat Press.
- H. Shen and Cliff J. Lissenden (2005) “Stress and strain localization 3D modeling for particle-reinforced metal matrix composites,” Metall. Mater. Trans., 36A, pp. 1653–1660.
- X. Lei and Cliff J. Lissenden (2004) “A more comprehensive method for yield locus construction for metallic alloys and composites,” Exp. Mechanics, 44, pp. 10–20.
- Cliff J. Lissenden and N. J. Salamon (2004) “Design project for advanced mechanics of materials,” Int. J. Engng. Education, 20, pp. 103–112.
- P. A. Solimine and Cliff J. Lissenden (2004) “Fatigue of beta titanium alloy at 20, 482, and 648 °C,” Fatigue Fract. Engng. Mater. Struct., 27, pp. 943–955.
- Cliff J. Lissenden, J. F. Colaiuta, and B. A. Lerch (2004) “Hardening behavior of three metallic alloys under combined stresses at elevated temperature,” Acta Mech., 169, pp. 53–77.
- M. S. Lebold, K. P. Maynard, K. M. Reichard, M. W. Trethewey, D. Bieryla, Cliff J. Lissenden, and D. Dobbins (2004) “Using torsional vibration analysis as a synergistic method for crack detection in rotating equipment,” in proceedings 2004 IEEE Aerospace Conference Proceedings, Volume 6, pp. 3517–3526, IEEE.
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- American Society for Nondestructive Testing, Member (2009 – Present)
- ASM International, Member (2003 – Present)
- American Society for Engineering Education, Member (1996 – Present)
- Sigma Xi, Member (1996 – Present)
- Society of Engineering Science, Member (1995 – Present)
- ASME International, Member (1993 – Present)
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Member (1984 – Present)
Professional Licenses or Certifications
- Registered professional engineer (41980), Florida, 1989
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- Director, Ben Franklin Center of Excellence in Structural Health Monitoring (Jan 2007 – Dec 2012)
- ABET Coordinator, Engineering Science and Mechanics (July 2004 – June 2009)
- Undergraduate Officer, Engineering Science and Mechanics (July 2004 – June 2009)
Login to Edit