Lissenden, Clifford J.
Office phone: (814) 863-5754
Office address: 411D Earth and Engineering Sciences Building
Office hours: T, R 11:00AM - 12:00PM
Office hours location: 411D EES Bldg
Office hours phone: (814) 863-5754
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering/Applied Mechanics, University of Virginia, 1993
- M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Virginia, 1988
- B.S. (Magna Cum Laude), Civil Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1985
Years of Service with Penn State
- Jan 2007 – Dec 2012 Director, Ben Franklin Center of Excellence in Structural Health Monitoring
- July 2004 – June 2009 Undergraduate Officer
- Aug 2001 – June 2009 Associate Professor
- Aug 1995 – June 2001 Assistant Professor
Other Related Experience — Teaching, Industrial, Etc.
- Sept 2007 – Dec 2007 Visiting Scientist, Nondestructive Evaluation Branch, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
- June 1994 – Aug 1995 Summer Faculty Fellow, Life Prediction Branch, NASA Lewis Research Center, Cleveland, Ohio
- Aug 1993 – Aug 1995 Visiting Assistant Professor, Engineering Mechanics, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky
- Sept 1988 – Aug 1990 Structural Engineer/Associate, Structural Engineering, Gee & Jenson, West Palm Beach, Florida
- Apr 1985 – Aug 1987 Structural Engineer, Structures, Kimley-Horn and Associates, West Palm Beach, Florida
Recent Principal Publications
- H. Kanajosyula and Cliff J. Lissenden (2013) “Analysis of annular phased array transducers for ultrasonic guided wave mode control,” Smart Materials and Structures, 22, pp. 085019.
- V. K Chillara and Cliff J. Lissenden (2013) “Analysis of second harmonic guided waves in pipes using a large radius asymptotic approximation for axis-symmetric longitudinal modes,” Ultasonics, 53, pp. 862–869.
- Y. Liu, V. K Chillara, Cliff J. Lissenden, and J. L. Rose (2013) “Cubic nonlinear shear horizontal and Rayleigh Lamb waves in weakly nonlinear plates,” J. Appl. Phys., 114, pp. 114908.
- B. Ren and Cliff J. Lissenden (2013) “Ultrasonic guided wave inspection of adhesive bonds between composite laminates,” Int. J. Adhesives and Adherends, 45, pp. 59–68.
- P. Puthillath, B. Ren, J. Galan, and Cliff J. Lissenden (2013) “Ultrasonic guided wave propagation across waveguide transitions: energy transfer and mode conversion,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 133(5), pp. 2624–2633.
- H. Cho and Cliff J. Lissenden (2012) “Structural health monitoring of fatigue crack growth in plate structures with ultrasonic guided waves,” Struct. Health Mon. Int. J., 11, pp. 393–404.
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- American Society for Nondestructive Testing, Member (2009 – Present)
- ASM International, Member (2003 – Present)
- American Society for Engineering Education, Member (1996 – Present)
- Society of Engineering Science, Member (1995 – Present)
- ASME International, Fellow (1993 – Present)
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Member (1984 – Present)
Professional Licenses or Certifications
- Registered professional engineer (41980), Florida, 1989
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- Organized symposia on ultrasonic guided waves (QNDE), structural health monitoring (US NCTAM), continuum plasticity and damage mechanics (SES annual meeting), mechanics of fibrous composites (US NCTAM), and understanding and predicting material degradation (ASME PVP conference).
- Director, Ben Franklin Center of Excellence in Structural Health Monitoring (Jan 2007 – Dec 2012)
- ABET Coordinator, Engineering Science and Mechanics (July 2004 – June 2009)
- Undergraduate Officer, Engineering Science and Mechanics (July 2004 – June 2009)
Login to Edit