Gluckman, Bruce J.
Associate Professor of Engineering Science and Mechanics, Neurosurgery, & Bioengineering
- Ph.D., Physics, University of Pennsylvania, 1994
- B.S., Engineering Physics, University of Illinois, Urbana, Il, 1988
Years of Service with Penn State (6 years)
- June 2007 – Present Associate Director, Center for Neural Engineering
- Aug 2006 – Present Associate Professor
Other Related Experience — Teaching, Industrial, Etc.
- June 1998 – July 2006 Associate Professor, Physics and Astronomy, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
- May 1998 – June 1998 Assistant Professor in Pediatrics, children's Research Institute, Children's national Medical Center & The George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington, DC
- Mar 1997 – May 1998 Research Assistant Professor in Pediatrics, Children's Research Institute, Children's National Medical Center & The George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington, DC
Recent Principal Publications
- Sridhar Sunderam (July 2007) “Improved sleep-wake and behavior discrimination using MEMS accelerometers,” J. Neurosci. Methods, 163(2), pp. 272–383.
- Sridhar Sunderam, N. Chernyy, J. Mason, N. Peixoto, S. L. Weinstein, S. J. Schiff, and Bruce J. Gluckman (2006) “Seizure Modulation with Applied Electric Fields in Chronically Implanted Animals,” in proceedings Proceedings, pp. 1612–1615, Proceedings of the 28th IEEE EMBS Annual International Conference.
- E H Park, E. Barreto, Bruce J. Gluckman, and S. J. Schiff (Aug 2005) “A model of the effects of applied electric fields on neuronal sychronization,” J. Computer Neuroscience, 19(1), pp. 53–70.
- K. A. Richardson, S. J. Schiff, and Bruce J. Gluckman (Jan 2005) “Control of traveling waves in the Mammalian cortex,” Phys Rev Lett, 94(2).
- K. A. Richardson, Bruce J. Gluckman, and S. J. Schiff (2004) “Electric Field Control of Seizure Propagation: From Theory to Experiment,” in proceedings Proceedings, pp. 185–196, AIP Conference Proceedings, Volume 742, Experimental Chaos: 8th Experimental Chaos Conference.
- J. T. Francis, Bruce J. Gluckman, and S. J. Schiff (Aug 2003) “Sensitivity of neurons to weak electric fields,” J. Neuroscience, 23(19), pp. 7255–61.
- K. A. Richardson, Bruce J. Gluckman, S. L. Weinstein, C. E Glosch, J. B. Moon, R. P. Gwinn, K. Gale, and S. J. Schiff (June 2003) “In vivo modulation of hippocampal epileptiform activity with radial electric fields,” Epilepsia, 44(6), pp. 768–777.
- E H Park, P. So, E. Barreto, Bruce J. Gluckman, and S. J. Schiff (2003) “Electric field synchronization in neuronal networks,” Neurocomputing, pp. 169–175.
- Bruce J. Gluckman and S. J. Schiff (2003) “Seizure Control using Feedback and Electrical Fields,” in book entitled Epilepsy as a Dynamical Disease, edited by J. Milton and P. Jung. Springer Verlag.
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- American Epilepsy Society, Member (2006 – Present)
- IEEE, Member and Editor (2006 – Present)
- Society for Neuroscience, Member (2004 – Present)
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), Member (1997 – Present)
- American Physical Society, Member (1993 – Present)
- U.S. Patent 6,873,872 issued (Device), B. J. Gluckman, S. J. Schiff. Adaptive Electric Field Modulation of Neural Systems (29 Mar 2005)
- U.S. Patent 6,665,562, B. J. Gluckman, and S. J. Schiff. Adaptive Electric Field Modulation of Neural Systems (16 Dec 2003)
- U.S. Patent 6,665,562 issued (Methods), B. J. Gluckman, and S. J. Schiff. Adaptive Electric Field Modulation of Neural Systems (16 Dec 2003)
- U.S. Patent 60/422,870 filed, B. J. Gluckman, S. J. Schiff, S. L. Weinstein, K. A. Richardson. Methods and devices for predicting seizures (1 Nov 2002)
- U.S. Patent 5800459, M. L. Spano, S. J. Schiff, B. J. Gluckman, and W. L. Ditto. Electric Field Control of Epileptiform Activity (1 Sept 1998)
- U.S. Patent 5,797,965, M. L. Spano, S. J. Schiff, B. J. Gluckman, and W. L. Ditto. Suppression of Epileptiform Activity (25 Aug 1998)
- U.S. Patent filed, m. L. Spano, B. J. Gluckman, M. Ding, W. Yang, W. L. Ditto, and V. In. Adaptive Control of Chaos in High Dimensional Systems (1997)
Honors and Awards
- Office of Naval Research Postdoctoral Fellow, 1995–1997 (1995)
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering (Nov 2007 – Present)
- Organizer, Experimental Chaos Conference, ECC6–10 (2001, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008)
Login to Edit