Gluckman, Bruce J.
Associate Professor of Engineering Science and Mechanics, Neurosurgery, & Bioengineering
Office phone: (814) 865-0178
Office address: W-312 Millennium Science Complex
Office hours: M 1:00PM - 3:00PM and by appointment
- Ph.D., Physics, University of Pennsylvania, 1994
- B.S., Engineering Physics, University of Illinois, Urbana, Il, 1988
Years of Service with Penn State (8 years)
- June 2007 – Present Associate Director, Center for Neural Engineering
- Aug 2006 – Present Associate Professor
Other Related Experience — Teaching, Industrial, Etc.
- June 1998 – July 2006 Associate Professor, Physics and Astronomy, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
- May 1998 – June 1998 Assistant Professor in Pediatrics, children's Research Institute, Children's national Medical Center & The George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington, DC
- Mar 1997 – May 1998 Research Assistant Professor in Pediatrics, Children's Research Institute, Children's National Medical Center & The George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington, DC
Recent Principal Publications
- G. La Corte, Y Wei, N. Chernyy, Bruce J. Gluckman, and S. J. Schiff (Feb 2014) “Frequency dependence of behavioral modulation by hippocampal electrical stimulation,” Journal of Neurophysiology, 111(3), pp. 470–80.
- M. Sedigh-Sarvestani, GI Thuku, Sridhar Sunderam, A. Parkar, S. L. Weinstein, S. J. Schiff, and Bruce J. Gluckman (Jan 2014) “Rapid Eye Movement Sleep and Hippocampal Theta Oscillations Precede Seizure Onset in the Tetanus Toxin Model of Temporal Lobe Epilepsy,” Journal of Neuroscience, 34(4), pp. 1105–1114.
- M. Sedigh-Sarvestani, S. J. Schiff, and Bruce J. Gluckman (Nov 2012) “Reconstructing Mammalian Sleep Dynamics with Data Assimilation,” PLOS Computational Biology, 8(11), pp. e1002788.
- Y Xiao, XY Huang, S Van Wert, E. Barreto, JY Wu, and Bruce J. Gluckman (July 2012) “The role of inhibition in oscillatory wave dynamics in the cortex.,” European Journal of Neuroscience, 36(2), pp. 2201–2212.
- J. Berzhanskaya, N. Chernyy, Bruce J. Gluckman, S. J. Schiff, and G. Ascoli (June 2012) “Modulation of hippocampal rhythms by subthreshold electric fields and network topology,” Journal of Computational Neuroscience, 34(3), pp. 369–89.
- Bruce J. Gluckman (May 2010) “Experimental nonlinear dynamics,” Philosophical transactions. Series A, 368(1918), pp. 2143–2146.
- Sridhar Sunderam, Bruce J. Gluckman, D. Reato, and M. Bikson (Jan 2010) “Toward rational design of electrical stimulation strategies for epilepsy control.,” Epilepsy and Behavior, 17(1), pp. 6–22.
- (Aug 2009) “Seizure entrainment with polarizing low-frequency electric fields in a chronic animal epilepsy model.,” Journal of Neural Engineering, 6(4), pp. 046009.
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- American Epilepsy Society, Member (2006 – Present)
- IEEE, Member and Editor (2006 – Present)
- Society for Neuroscience, Member (2004 – Present)
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), Member (1997 – Present)
- American Physical Society, Member (1993 – Present)
- U.S. Patent 6,873,872 issued (Device), B. J. Gluckman, S. J. Schiff. Adaptive Electric Field Modulation of Neural Systems (29 Mar 2005)
- U.S. Patent 6,665,562, B. J. Gluckman, and S. J. Schiff. Adaptive Electric Field Modulation of Neural Systems (16 Dec 2003)
- U.S. Patent 6,665,562 issued (Methods), B. J. Gluckman, and S. J. Schiff. Adaptive Electric Field Modulation of Neural Systems (16 Dec 2003)
- U.S. Patent 60/422,870 filed, B. J. Gluckman, S. J. Schiff, S. L. Weinstein, K. A. Richardson. Methods and devices for predicting seizures (1 Nov 2002)
- U.S. Patent 5800459, M. L. Spano, S. J. Schiff, B. J. Gluckman, and W. L. Ditto. Electric Field Control of Epileptiform Activity (1 Sept 1998)
- U.S. Patent 5,797,965, M. L. Spano, S. J. Schiff, B. J. Gluckman, and W. L. Ditto. Suppression of Epileptiform Activity (25 Aug 1998)
- U.S. Patent filed, m. L. Spano, B. J. Gluckman, M. Ding, W. Yang, W. L. Ditto, and V. In. Adaptive Control of Chaos in High Dimensional Systems (1997)
Honors and Awards
- Office of Naval Research Postdoctoral Fellow, 1995–1997 (1995)
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- Scientific Advisory Board, International Workshop on Seizure Prediction (Jan 2008 – Present)
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering (Nov 2007 – Present)
- Organizer, Experimental Chaos Conference, ECC6–13 (2001, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014)
- Chair, Sixth International Workshop on Seizure Prediction (November 2013) (Aug 2011 – May 2014)
Login to Edit