Charles Godfrey Binder Professor in Engineering Science and Mechanics
Office phone: (814) 863-4319
Office address: 206 Earth and Engineering Sciences Building
Office hours: T, R - 2:00pm - 3:00pm
Office hours Location: 206 EES Building
Office hours Phone: (814) 863-4319
- D.Sc., Electronics Engineering, Banaras Hindu University, 2006
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, University of Utah, 1983
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Utah, 1981
- B.Eng. (1st in University), Electronics Engineering, Banaras Hindu University, 1979
Years of Service with Penn State (29 years)
Recent Principal Publications
- Akhlesh Lakhtakia and Tom G. Mackay (2007) “Electrical control of the linear optical properties of particulate composite materials,” Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A, 463, pp. 583–592.
- Sean M. Pursel, Mark W. Horn, and Akhlesh Lakhtakia (2007) “Tuning of sculptured-thin-film spectral-hole filters by postdeposition etching,” Optical Engineering, 46, pp. 040507.
- Akhlesh Lakhtakia and Russell Messier (2005) Sculptured Thin Films: Nanoengineered Morphology and Optics, SPIE Press, Bellingham, WA.
- Akhlesh Lakhtakia, Ed. (2004) Nanometer Structures: Theory, Modeling, and Simulation, SPIE Press, Bellingham, WA.
- Werner Siegfried Weiglhofer and Akhlesh Lakhtakia, Eds. (2003) Introduction to Complex Mediums for Optics and Electromagnetics, SPIE Press, Bellingham, WA.
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- American Physical Society, Fellow (2012 – Present)
- American Association for the Advancement of Sciences, Fellow (2009 – Present)
- Institute of Physics (UK), Fellow (1996 – Present)
- SPIE, Fellow (1996 – Present)
- Optical Society of America, Fellow (1992 – Present)
Honors and Awards
- 2011 Penn State Faculty Trading Cards, Penn State (2011)
- 2010 Technical Achievement Award, SPIE (2010)
- Distinguished Lecturer (Electrical Engineering), University of Texas at Dallas (2008)
- PSES Premier Research Award, Pennsylvania State Univeersity (2008)
- University Distinguished Alumnus, University of Utah (2007)
- Plenary Lecturer, SPIE (2007)
- Charles Godfrey Binder Professorship, Pennsylvania State University (2006)
- Nano 50 Award for Innovation, Nanotech Briefs (2006)
- Faculty Scholar Medal, Pennsylvania State University (2006)
- PSES Outstanding Advising Award, Pennsylvania State University (2006)
- Nano 50 Award for Nanotechnology, Nanotech Briefs (2005)
- Distinguished Professorship, Pennsylvania State University (2004)
- PSES Outstanding Research Award, Pennsylvania State University (1996)
- Scottish Amicable Lecturer, University of Glasgow (1995)
- Certificate of Appreciation, IEEE Electromagnetics Compaitibility Society (1994)
- International Lecturer, Optical Society of America (1993)
- Traveling Lecturer, International Commission for Optics (1992)
- University Graduate Fellowship, University of Utah (1982)
- BHU Gold Medal, Banaras Hindu University (1979)
- National Merit Scholarship, Government of India (1975)
- Undergraduate Scholarship (1974–1979), University Grants Commission, India (1974)
- National Science Talent Search Award, Government of India (1974)
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- Chair, Publications Ethics Subcommittee, SPIE (2008 – Present)
- Advisory Board Member, Optics Communications (Apr 2006 – Present)
- Member, Publications Committee, SPIE (2006 – Present)
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Nanophotonics (2006 – Present)
- Member, ASME Press Advisory and Oversight Committee, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (2004 – Present)
- Editorial Board Member, Electromagnetics (Apr 2003 – Present)
- Editorial Board Member, Optik (Mar 1998 – Present)
- Editorial Board Member, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters (Apr 1997 – Present)
- I have been an external examiner of 9 PhD theses from India, Pakistan, Australia, and Bulgaria; 17 Promotion & Tenure dossiers from USA, UK, Greece, Israel, Pakistan, and Singapore; and 1 Sabbatical Leave proposal from Saudi Arabia.
- I review about between 40 to 50 papers every year. I have reviewed papers for 102 journals, research proposals for 11 US and international organizations, book proposals for 8 publishers, and books for 6 journals.
- Chair of seven international conferences. Chair of sessions at numerous conferences.
- Member, Publications Ethics Subcommittee, SPIE (2007 – 2007)
- Editorial Board Member, AEÜ International Journal of Electronics & Communications (Feb 2003 – July 2006)
- Editorial Board Member, SPIE Nanotechnology E-Bulletin (Jan 2004 – Dec 2005)
- Member, Publications Committee, SPIE (2002 – 2004)
- Editor-in-Chief, Speculations in Science and Technology (1993 – 1996)
- American Editor, Speculations in Science and Technology (1991 – 1992)
Login to Edit