Charles Godfrey Binder Professor in Engineering Science and Mechanics
Office phone: (814) 863-4319
Office address: 206 Earth and Engineering Sciences Building
Office hours: T, R: 3:00 - 4:00 p.m.
Office hours location: 206 EES Building
Office hours phone: (814) 863-4319
- D.Sc., Electronics Engineering, Banaras Hindu University, 2006
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, University of Utah, 1983
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Utah, 1981
- B.Eng. (1st in University), Electronics Engineering, Banaras Hindu University, 1979
Years of Service with Penn State
Recent Principal Publications
- Tom G. Mackay and Akhlesh Lakhtakia (2015) Modern Analytical Electromagnetic Homogenization, Morgan & Claypool Publishers for Institute of Physics (UK), San Rafael, CA.
- John A. Polo Jr., Tom G. Mackay, and Akhlesh Lakhtakia (2013) Electromagnetic Surface Waves: A Modern Perspective, Elsevier, Waltham, MA.
- Raul J. Martin-Palma (2013) Engineered Biomimicry, Elsevier, Waltham, MA.
- Tom G. Mackay and Akhlesh Lakhtakia (2010) Electromagnetic Anisotropy and Bianisotropy, World Scientific, Singapore.
- Raul J. Martin-Palma and Akhlesh Lakhtakia (2010) Nanotechnology: A Crash Course, SPIE Press, Bellingham, WA.
- Mohammed Zourob and Akhlesh Lakhtakia, Eds. (2010) Optical Guided-wave Chemical and Biosensors, Vols. I and II, Springer, Heidelberg, Germany.
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Fellow (2016 – Present)
- Royal Society of Chemistry, Fellow (2016 – Present)
- American Physical Society, Fellow (2012 – Present)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, Fellow (2009 – Present)
- Institute of Physics (UK), Fellow (1996 – Present)
- SPIE, Fellow (1996 – Present)
- Optical Society of America, Fellow (1992 – Present)
- U.S. Patent 8647654 B2, M.C. Demirel (50%) and A. Lakhtakia (50%). Method and systems for forming and using nanoengineered sculptured thin films (11 Feb 2014)
Honors and Awards
- PSEAS Outstanding Teaching Award, Pennsylvania State University (27 Apr 2016)
- Walston Chubb Award for Innovation, Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society (2016)
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Indian Institute of Technology (BHU) (13 Sept 2014)
- Honorary International Chair Professor, National Taipei University of Technology (2012)
- Distinguished Reviewer (Inaugural Class), Optical Society of America (2012)
- 2011 Penn State Faculty Trading Cards, Penn State (2011)
- 2010 Technical Achievement Award, SPIE (2010)
- PSES Premier Research Award, Pennsylvania State University (2008)
- University Distinguished Alumnus, University of Utah (2007)
- Nano 50 Award for Innovation, Nanotech Briefs (2006)
- Faculty Scholar Medal, Pennsylvania State University (2006)
- PSES Outstanding Advising Award, Pennsylvania State University (2006)
- Nano 50 Award for Nanotechnology, Nanotech Briefs (2005)
- Distinguished Professorship, Pennsylvania State University (2004)
- PSES Outstanding Research Award, Pennsylvania State University (1996)
- Scottish Amicable Lecturer, University of Glasgow (1995)
- Certificate of Appreciation, IEEE Electromagnetics Compaitibility Society (1994)
- University Graduate Fellowship, University of Utah (1982)
- BHU Gold Medal, Banaras Hindu University (1979)
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Optics (India) (2011 – Present)
- Advisory Board Member, Optics Communications (Apr 2006 – Present)
- Editorial Board Member, Electromagnetics (Apr 2003 – Present)
- Editorial Board Member, Optik (Mar 1998 – Present)
- Editorial Board Member, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters (Apr 1997 – Present)
- Chair, Publications Ethics Subcommittee, SPIE (2008 – Dec 2013)
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Nanophotonics (Aug 2006 – Dec 2013)
Login to Edit