Bakis, Charles E.
Office phone: (814) 865-3178
Office address: 001 Research Building West
Office hours: T, R - 9am - 10am
Office hours Location: 001 Research West
Office hours Phone: (814) 865-3178
- Ph.D., Engineering Mechanics, Virginia Tech, 1988
- M.S., Engineering Mechanics, Virginia Tech, 1984
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Lehigh University, 1981
Years of Service with Penn State (24 years)
- Dec 2007 – Present Distinguished Professor
- July 2000 – Nov 2007 Professor
- July 1994 – June 2000 Associate Professor
- Aug 1988 – June 1994 Assistant Professor
Other Related Experience — Teaching, Industrial, Etc.
- July 1981 – Aug 1982 Staff Engineer, Communications Satellites, RCA Astro-Electronics, Hightstown, NJ
Recent Principal Publications
- Chandrashekhar Tiwari, Todd C. Henry, Edward C. Smith, and Charles E. Bakis (July 2014) “Experimental Evaluation of Novel Foam Filled Energy Absorbing Composite Tubes,” J. American Helicopter Society, 59(3), pp. 032005:1–10.
- Tyler N. Tallmann, Sila Gungor, Kon-Well Wang, and Charles E. Bakis (Apr 2014) “Damage Detection and Conductivity Evolution in Carbon Nanofiber Epoxy via Electrical Impedance Tomography,” Smart Materials and Structures, 23(4), pp. 045034:1–9.
- Bin Zhu, Christopher D. Rahn, and Charles E. Bakis (2012) “Actuation of Fluidic Flexible Matrix Composites in Structural Media,” J. Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 23(3), pp. 269–278.
- Ye Zhu, Charles E. Bakis, and James H. Adair (2012) “Effects of Carbon Nanofiller Functionalization and Distribution on Interlaminar Fracture Toughness of Multi-Scale Reinforced Polymer Composites,” Carbon, 50(3), pp. 1316–1331.
- Ailin Liu, Kon-Well Wang, and Charles E. Bakis (2011) “Effect of Functionalization of Single-Wall Carbon Nanotubes (SWNTs) on the Damping Characteristics of SWNT-Based Epoxy Composites via Multiscale Analysis,” Composites: Part A, 42(11), pp. 1748–1755.
- Christophe Roos and Charles E. Bakis (2011) “Multi-Physics Design and Optimization of Flexible Matrix Composite Driveshafts,” Composite Structures, 93, pp. 2231–2240.
- Daniel Zindel and Charles E. Bakis (2011) “Nonlinear Micromechanical Model of Filament-Wound Composites Considering Fiber Undulation,” Mechanics of Composite Materials, 47(1), pp. 73–94.
- Ambuj Sharma, Charles E. Bakis, and Kon-Well Wang (2010) “Effect of Electrostatic and Electro-Hydrodynamic Forces on the Chaining of Carbon Nanofibers in Liquid Epoxy,” J. Physics D: Applied Physics, 43(175402), pp. 1–10.
- Ailin Liu, Kon-Well Wang, and Charles E. Bakis (2010) “Multiscale Damping Model for Polymeric Composites Containing Carbon Nanotube Ropes,” J. Composite Materials, 44(19), pp. 2301–2323.
- Jae Ha Lee, Maria M. Lopez, and Charles E. Bakis (2009) “Slip Effects in Reinforced Concrete Beams with Mechanically Fastened FRP Strip,” Cement and Concrete Composites, 31, pp. 496–504.
- Ying Shan, Michael Philen, Amir Lotfi, Su Yi Li, Charles E. Bakis, Christopher D. Rahn, and Kon-Well Wang (2009) “Variable Stiffness Structures Utilizing Fluidic Flexible Matrix Composites,” J. Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 20, pp. 443–456.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American Society for Composites (Aug 2010)
- Outstanding Research Award, Penn State Engineering Alumni Society (Apr 2010)
- Fellow, International Institute for Fiber Reinforced Polymers in Construction (2008)
- ASC Award in Composites, American Society for Composites (2006)
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (2003)
- Outstanding Teaching Award, American Society for Engineering Education, Middle Atlantic Section (1998)
- Outstanding Teaching Award, Penn State Engineering Society (1996)
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- President, American Society for Composites (Jan 2014 – Present)
- Editor-in-Chief, J. Composites for Construction, American Society of Civil Engineers (June 2003 – Present)
- Member-at-Large, Executive Committee, International Institute for Fiber Reinforced Polymers in Construction (Aug 2014 – Aug 2016)
- Member, Promotion and Tenure Committee, ESM Dept. (2014 – 2016)
- General Chair, 28th Annual Conference, American Society for Composites, 9–11 Sep. 2013, University Park, PA. (Oct 2011 – Sept 2013)
Login to Edit