ESM Available Software
It is illegal to distribute or copy software in a manner other than as prescribed in the licensing agreement.
For example, if you have purchased a single copy of WordPerfect, you cannot install it on multiple computers in your lab for use by students, TAs, visiting faculty, etc.
If you are not affiliated with the ESM department, please contact the technical resources available for your department or college. This page is for the ESM Department only.
If you have any questions concerning ESM licensing, please check with the ESM Technical Contacts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University and the ESM department do offer several software packages free of charge, or through volume licensing agreements.
Software available through this link is for use by ESM Faculty, Staff and Researchers only. Students must acquire software via Software at Penn State.
Other software may be available—check with a technical contact for the latest updates and a complete listing. Except where noted, software is for use on ESM departmental equipment only, and not at home.
Software with site licensing, free of charge includes:
- Other Access Software from ITS https://downloads.its.psu.edu Includes clients for SSH, Telnet, and other network utilities.
The ESM Department has a departmental license for Mathematica.
See this link for more information.
- Symantec Endpoint (formerly Norton AntiVirus) - for departmental computers bound to the PSU_ENGINEERING domain, please see a technical contact. For other uses, click to download.
- Solidworks is available from the College of Engineering. Visit the Solidworks Download Page for instructions.
- Microsoft Campus Agreement (MS Office 2013 [Windows] and Microsoft Office 2011 [Mac])
Microsoft has a special agreement with the university. For "work at home" licensing, see Software at Penn State. Students are now licensed for Microsoft Office and Windows 8.1 upgrade at no charge through Student Licensing at software.psu.edu.
For departmental use, click here for more information.
- Adobe Creative Cloud is now available for faculty and staff. Check with a technical contact for more information.
- The Adobe Creative Cloud includes Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Premiere through a university-wide licensing agreement.
- There is no 'department license' for Adobe products.
You may download the free Adobe Reader through this link:
- ITS Downloads Page - various software from ITS, free of charge
Software Available Through Other Units
- Campus computer labs have many software packages available. See this list of software available in Classroom and Lab computing labs.
- Some of these packages (Matlab, Mathematica, Office) can be used remotely via PSU Web Apps.
- Research Computing and Cyberinfrastructure, a unit of Penn State's ITS, maintains High Performance Computing Software—free or low cost access to software like ABAQUS, COMSOL, Fluent, Silverstorm, GrADS, and others.
- Labview available from the College of Engineering via SEDTAPP.
The following popular software titles are not site licensed and must be purchased
Software at Penn State offers special educational discounts.